Anyone who has ever shared a joint with friends, a.k.a. every stoner in existence, has either caught a cold because someone in the group was sick or at the very least got really grossed out by it.
For most people that aren’t germaphobes, it’s pretty easy to forget about all the little bastards flying around our faces all day long.
• Spanish Authorities Cancel Spannabis Over Corona Fears Because Organizers Wouldn’t
• How to Get High Without Dying from Coronavirus
• 7 Ways How You Can Make The Perfect Joint Filter
But in times like these, when dozens of new people get added to the list of those who caught the Coronavirus, putting a joint in your mouth that four other people have licked before you, sounds a little less appealing than usual.
The lyrical picture I painted for you above is actually not that far from reality. A study from 2014 on kissing-related spit swapping indicates that the oral cavity (that’s your mouth) is home to around 700 different types of bacteria, fungi, protists, and viruses.
Philip Tierno, clinical professor of microbiology and pathology at the NYU School of Medicine, told Vice that 80 percent of all infectious diseases are transmitted by direct and indirect contact — think: shaking someone’s hand, then touching your eyes a minute later. Sharing a wet joint with others definitely counts as direct contact.
So how do you prevent getting in direct contact with a joint, without stopping to smoke joints (cause that’s just crazy talk)? We’re glad you asked:
1. Start by holding the joint between your pinky and ring finger
2. Fold your hands together to form a bowl
3. Close your hands off until they form a tight seal around each other, leaving just one hole
4. Put your mouth over the hole and toke away without passing icky germs and viruses around
So there you have it. You can still smoke joints with friends and loved ones without the fear of putting their dirty germs in your mouth.
Obviously, this only works when everyone involved thoroughly washes their hands before and doesn’t cough into their hand bowl during the sesh.
Leave a Reply