Over the last few years, there have been a lot of new ways to consume weed developed. It’s safe to say that edibles today have come along way from those of the past. From infused five-course meals to potent buttery baked goods, there are thousands of new variations on gourmet pot dishes. But sometimes, you don’t care, and all you want is to get stoned, with as little effort as possible. With that in mind, here is how to make weed firecrackers – an edible for the lazy stoner.
What is a Firecracker Edible?
For the Americans and Canadians reading this, a firecracker edible is going to look familiar. A chocolatey gooey mess, slammed between two graham crackers is instantly going to bring up memories from summer camp and family tenting adventures. Sitting around the fire, roasting marshmallows, and squeezing it into a S’more never gets old. But this graham cracker sandwich, called a firecracker, is more of an adult friendly activity.
A typical S’more is four layers of goodness: graham cracker, chocolate, roasted marshmallow, and one more graham cracker. Firecrackers work a little differently. There are still four layers, starting with graham cracker, followed by Nutella, a good sprinkle of cannabis, and finally topped off with a final biscuit.
See what have stoners done here? They’ve managed to turn a favorite childhood campfire snack into a delicious, make any-time, adult edible. A genius move, and one that can be made in the comfort of your own home, with ingredients you likely have on hand. Let’s cover the necessary steps on how to make weed firecrackers so that you can get to snacking as soon as possible.
Step-by-Step: How to Make a Firecracker Edible
Gourmet chefs move aside; this is an edible for the microwave and toaster oven connoisseurs. Without any kitchen experience, you too can make a delicious infused cannabis treat for you and your friends to enjoy.
Step 1: Collect the Ingredients
Two graham crackers, although any crackers will work.
2-3 tablespoons of Nutella, Peanut Butter or other delectable spread
½ a gram of weed (or more)
Step 2: Decarb the Weed
- If you want to get baked, this is the most critical step. Because we aren’t smoking or vaping the cannabis, we need to transform the THCA into THC through a process called decarboxylation.
- Set your oven, or toaster oven, to 230 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grind up whatever weed you have on hand into a fine powder.
- Sprinkle in a thin layer over a piece of tinfoil.
- Place tinfoil in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Spread it
- While your weed is decarbing, prepare the other ingredients.
- Spread your fatty spreadable substance of choice (nut butter, Vegemite, etc.) across both crackers in a thin layer.
Step 4: Wrap it Up
- Once the cannabis has finished decarbing, it’s time to sprinkle it over the crackers.
- Add half the weed to each side of the Nutella-cracker sandwich.
- Use a butter knife to work the cannabis into the spread.
- Sandwich the two sides together with the Nutella and cannabis sides facing each other.
- Wrap the entire sandwich into a tinfoil wrapper, sealing the edges.
Step 5: Bake it
- Increase the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Bake the crackers (wrapped in tinfoil) for another 15 minutes.
Step 6: Get Baked
- Remove your special edible package from the oven.
- Carefully unwrap, using oven mitts if needed.
- Eat or share with friends.
Why Decarb Your Weed First?
Ever wonder why everyone goes through the work of baking with weed, instead of just popping a nug into their mouth and chewing it like a piece of gum?
Eating raw weed doesn’t do anyone any favors. It doesn’t taste great, nor does it get you high. Heating weed to release cannabinoids is called decarboxylation, or decarbing. Although the news that unheated marijuana doesn’t get you high might be shocking to some, it’s a scientific fact.
Importantly, cannabis is full of powerful chemical compounds called cannabinoids. The most notable being THC and CBD. Unfortunately, these two are only present when marijuana is exposed to heat. Hence why we all smoke, vape and bake our way to getting high. When heated, the original cannabinoid, THCA transforms into the one we all know and love – THC.
Baking the weed before spreading it between two crackers ensures that when you do chow down on your snack, you’ll get high. If you skip this step, or don’t use high enough heat, or put it in the oven for long enough, you’ll miss out and just waste your product.
What Strains to Bake into a Firecracker Weed?
Technically, you can mix any leftover weed you have on hand into a firecracker edible. But, there are a few notable strains whose terpene profile lend themselves well to getting sprinkled with a spread of peanut butter or chocolate Nutella. While these strains might be hard to find, they are worth shopping around for, to elevate your next firecracker weed experience!
- Chocolate Kush: Notes of the earth and woodsy undertones, plus a hint of coffee make this an extra special blend for getting served between layers of Nutella.
- Caramel Kona Coffee Kush: Yes, weed really can taste like your favorite baked treat and a side of coffee too. This is another good go-to strain for mixing into sweet edibles, because of the deep caramel and coffee undertones.
- Vanilla Kush: Strains with a strong vanilla profile work best with chocolatey spreads instead of peanut butter. If chocolate was going to be your go-to firecracker spread anyway, look out for strains like Vanilla Kush with high levels of the terpene vanillin.
There you have it, it’s a complete guide on how to make weed firecrackers at home. It’s your quick and dirty guide to making the easiest edible on the planet. Firecracker weed edibles are nearly impossible to mess up and take absolutely no technical skill. With whatever crackers and spread you have on hand, you can get baked with minimal effort in 30 minutes or less.