Veterinarians : Littered Joint Roaches Wreak Havoc for Dog Parents in New York City - International Highlife

Veterinarians : Littered Joint Roaches Wreak Havoc for Dog Parents in New York City

Less than six months after adult-use cannabis sales began, an increasing number of dog owners are lamenting the problem of joint roaches that litter the streets of New York City.

According to KTLA 5, dog owners and vets are worried about canines eating roaches left around New York City, which they claim is a public annoyance.

Dr. Amy Attas, a veterinarian in New York City, told KTLA 5 that she has been receiving increasing calls from worried dog owners whose dogs have been sniffing up and eating roaches left on the sidewalk.

“The reason we’re seeing so many cases is that people are using marijuana on the street and then discarding the unwanted ends of their joints,” Attas said. “And that’s a real problem because dogs will eat those.”

Recreational drugs, including cannabis, are included on the annual list of top toxins for pets released by The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during National Poison Prevention Week last March 19–25.

The number of calls about possible cannabis intake increased by almost 11% in 2022 compared to the previous year, and it has increased by nearly 300% over the previous five years. The prevalence of this nowadays is astounding to me, said Attas.

According to the APCC, most calls involve animals eating edibles, which are more hazardous than plant matter and are occasionally coupled with components like chocolate, another canine poison. In canines like dogs, eating edibles can cause symptoms like upset stomach, incontinence, and ataxia.

After her 8-month-old toy poodle ate some cannabis, Colleen Briggs is one of the dog owners in New York who is concerned about roaches on the sidewalk. “He was just doing his usual—exploring everything, sniffing everything,” Briggs told KTLA 5.

Sue Scott, whose 9-month-old pug ate a roach, is also concerned. “I don’t know if you know pugs—they’re constantly on the lookout for their next morsel,” said Scott. “But sometimes it’s pretty tough to control them because they are so fast. They’ll just dart at something.”

Is THC Dangerous For Dogs?

When dogs consume THC, it can cause symptoms such as lethargy, loss of coordination, vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures.

It is important to note that dogs are more sensitive to THC than humans, so even a small amount can be dangerous for them. It is essential to keep THC-containing products out of reach of dogs. Therefore don’t just throw away your roaches.

If you suspect your dog has ingested THC, let the dog chill for a while and see if the condition will get better. If it does not, seek veterinary care. Your vet may induce vomiting or administer medications to manage symptoms and prevent further absorption of THC.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Online Smoke Shop