Not everyone loves to smoke weed. But that doesn’t mean these same people don’t even like to consume cannabis at all. Many people choose to consume THC through other means. For many, THC isn’t just a fun experience; it’s necessary medicine. For others, maybe they have asthma, and smoking isn’t an option. For all these people, cannabis pills are the answer.
Marijuana pills are as a way to dose medicine quickly, accurately, and without flavor. They are a perfect way to reap medicinal benefit from cannabis without the problems associated with edibles and smoking. Even if cannabis is considered better for your lungs than a traditional cigarette, smoking a joint is still inhaling smoke. Smoke can have harmful repercussions over time.
Another reason why weed pills are a perfect format to deliver medicine is that you can accurately measure the dose. A lot of people have had a bad experience with edibles. Sometimes it takes too long to kick in, or sometimes the original portion is too large. It’s easy to overindulge and regret it. Most of us have experience baking a pan of brownies, eating one piece, and regretting it a few hours later. It’s typically hard to know exactly how much cannabis is in one slice.
With a canna pill, it’s easy to dose. Each capsule contains precisely the same amount, which means each experience should be the same. For those relying on THC as an anti-inflammatory or anti-cancer medication, they can rest easy knowing they are receiving the perfect amount of medicine every time.
What is the Medicinal Benefits of Marijuana Pills
The beauty of canna pills is that they come in a vast array of cannabinoids. Whatever cannabinoids you are looking for, you can either find or make a suitable cannabis pill to suit your needs. The most common pills used today are those focusing on THC and CBD.
Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is the most popular cannabinoid. It is the only compound in marijuana responsible for the high. Despite the psychoactivity, it has some powerful medical benefit already in application around the world. Through proper dosing (for example with cannabis pills), people overcome the high to reap the medicinal benefit. Some health issues that THC is used to treat are:
- Chronic pain
- Migraines and cluster headaches
- Cancerous tumor
- Chemotherapy and radiation side effects
- Sleep disorders
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is an up and coming medication sourced from both weed plants and hemp crops. It is non-psychoactive and has a variety of medical benefits that are different than those found in THC. For example, CBD may have therapeutic benefit to some illness such as:
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Cancerous tumor
- Neurological degradation
The ability to consume cannabis in a pill format helps move an infamous substance away from its illicit past. It makes cannabis into more of a regulated and controlled medicine. For whatever reason, it feels better for many people to take a pill then smoke a spliff. Thankfully, canna pills are relatively simple to prepare, and you can easily do it at home.
Make Cannabis Capsules At Home
If cannabis capsules are not readily available, or too expensive for you to buy, they are super easy to make yourself. With a little practice, you can save a few dollars and create a perfectly balanced cannabinoid delivery system by yourself.
- 5 to 6 grams of finely ground cannabis (whatever strain you are interested in)
- ¼ cup of extra virgin coconut oil
- Gel capsules
- Gelatin capsules (found at any pharmacy)
- Tapered syringe
- Crockpot (also called a slow cooker)
- Baking sheet
- Tin foil
- Rubber bands
*If you are interested in going into long-term production, it might be beneficial to invest in a capsule filler. Products like Cap-M-Quik are relatively cheap and make filling pills much more manageable than one by one.
- Set your oven to 220 degrees and turn your slow cooker to low.
- Heat is required to activate the THC in the cannabis, which means you can’t just fill your capsules with raw cannabis. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and spread the finely ground cannabis in a thin layer — bake on low for approximately one hour.
- When thoroughly baked, regrind the marijuana if desired. Combine coconut oil and baked cannabis in the slow cooker, ensuring that the coconut oil and cannabis are well mixed.
- Stir every thirty minutes to make sure the cannabis is cooking evenly.
- In the meantime, prep your gel capsules. If you are using a Cap-M-Quik filler, set up the 50 or so capsules. As you can see, it can take much longer without a cap filling system.
- Set up a cheesecloth to use as a filter. Strain the crockpot mixture through the cheesecloth into a bowl. Wearing gloves, you can squeeze the mixture through to speed up the process before the oil hardens. Throw out the leftover ground cannabis, as all the beneficial cannabinoids are no longer present.
- If the oil starts to harden, place the bowl in the microwave for a few seconds until it’s liquid again.
- Fill up the syringe with the cannabis liquid, and fill the caps. If using the cap filler, follow the instructions accordingly.
- Once filled and capped, canna caps can be stored long-term in the refrigerator.
… A Final Word on THC Pills
Although the initial equipment list is a bit daunting, don’t be nervous. The actual process is quick simple, as you can see. Plus, if you have a cap filling mechanism, it speeds up the process ten-fold.
The best part about making your cannabis pills is that you can potentially save tons of money. Importantly for people who are using cannabis for medicinal purposes, they have the utmost control over what is in the final product. If you need cannabinoids for inflammation or cannabinoids for seizures, you can correctly dose yourself with whatever specific cannabinoid is required.